05-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #321
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I found that fuel consumption numbers from owners is pretty much useless indicators of what you will get. A much better method is to check what your mpg is in your current car vs it's EPA numbers. That's very likely where your average will be on an F8X vs it's EPA numbers. For example I'm getting 1.5 mpg over the EPA city number as average in my E90 M3. I assume to get the same with the F80, i.e 18.5 mpg.

You get 24 mpg vs the EPA 18 mpg city rating on your ATS. So I would except you to get 6 mpg over the 17 mpg city on the F80. I.e 23 mpg average.
That might be a reasonable indocator of what to expect, but I'm not sure it translates as well when going from a naturally aspirated engine to a turbo. I agree though that fuel consumption numbers from few users is not overly informative, unless its something like a highway number with the cruise set at 65 for an extended time on flat terrain (gives you an idea of what might be achievable). However, looking at the average from a large group is probably more informative than the EPA numbers that are generated from a very specific protocol that still doesn't really reflect the real world, but it will be a while before we have much of that data.

Maybe the car will be so fantastic I wont care. If that's not the case, might wait a bit.
Appreciate 0