07-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
In the interest of responding accurately to the poster, his question involved production time not paper shuffling time. With regard to how much additional time is added to the assembly process, it's probably best characterized as close to zilch additional time. As far as "changing the planned queue" goes, it seems to me, you're not really changing anything. The customer is (a) buying an allocation which is a planned part of the established annual queue and (b)simply changing the color of that single allocation.
But what about the $5,000 charge? I'm not trying to misdirect the subject; but, is that for all the paperwork people?
You are understanding what I was trying to explain. I am not speaking to any of the "paper shuffling" time. I am only speaking to the production time and an Individual color will add 2-4 weeks to the production time. This is what was stated to me when I ordered my E90 M3 back in 2009 and it is exactly what was stated to me recently when I placed my F80 M3 Individual order.

Now as it was explained to me it takes time for the coordination of the changing of the process to Individual colors. They said that they have to fit the Individual color ordered vehicle into the existing process or queue. I imagine they have to source the paint, transport the paint and load/pgm to use the individual paint, etc. I do not have any further details for this, but you can imagine that it is a change to their standard process. Any change to their streamlined standard process must be at a certain cost. The cost is then passed on to the customer. I do not know the cost break-down, but thinking about this process change makes sense. I do not thing that the $5,000 is for paperwork.

Hope this helps.

GTS
Appreciate 0