Thread: GTS Flash
View Single Post
      02-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #76
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

About time I posted up on here having met Henry last Thursday to get GTS and 2017 updates.

I've now had several days to play with things and I'm delighted with it.

Throttle in Sport and Sport + is now usable. No more stupid kangarooing. I still don't see much point in using Sport + off the track but that's just me. Sport though is now just so more usable day to day.

Steering. Interesting as people say it's heavier but I could have sworn it was lighter. That could be down to fact my car is on coilovers and geo is different. Anyway, I am more than happy with it. it's not an Elise in feedback but it's okay.

MDM and Diff. So this is the biggie for me. I hate the standard MDM - it's far too nannying and frankly inconsistent in what it does. I have tried for the last 20k since the car was mapped (and thus changed how it worked - improved it slightly) to suss it and sometimes it would cut things and other times it would just let go. It genuinely ruined the car. I remember driving the ACS M4 that was an older car than mine and that was great fun. With mine, it was just too nannying.

With the GTS update, it's bloody brilliant. Okay, I need to say this right from the start. If you are coming from a post '16 car with nannying MDM, don't assume it will save you. First test I did on my private roundabout was just plant my foot and keep it planted. Result - the car will spin. That was my first good news as it meant the new MDM would give far more slip! The reason I say this first is be in mind, this isn't like TC but with a wiggle anymore - it will and can bite unless you drive the car with some intelligence.

I've been playing more (on my private roundabout) to try and understand the differences between new MDM and TC off (as there is no comparison between MDM and TC on now). Thoughts are as follows. So first if you're around 3k in 2nd and boot the throttle and lift, with TC off, you can unsettle the car to then decide what to do. In MDM mode, it will snap back to safety. That is echoed on a small bend in 2nd or 3rd. If you panic on oversteer, it will help pull you back.

But that diff seems to lock up so damn quickly, it's just sooooooo friendly. When it does go, don't panic, it's very managable. With winters on in cold, have had back lighting up at top end of 3rd and it's a pussy cat.

So roundabouts (private ones of course) now require a different technique. GTS MDM likes a prod and then a constant or slightly varying throttle and it will happily keep a decent slip angle for as long as you want to go round. Back off completely and it will try and help you out and stop things (up to point where physics will overrule anything). It's not spiky at all and quite the opposite of what I do (in the wet) with TC off. It does seem to quell that build of boost and almost make the engine more managable in operation.

The diff seems to be on another planet now. Traction is pretty good and it hooks up so evenly - none of this nasty side slip wishy washyness before it locks. So even where traction does break, you've got time to have a cup of tea before worrying about it pulling the car out of line.

It's bloody brilliant and what I've been missing with this car all along. Please, if you're used to booting in MDM and car saving you on loose traction corner, if you do get GTS upgrade, bear in mind what I've said.

BUT it's transformed my car and I absolutely love it.

Oh and pulling out of junctions? None of this terrifying reduced acceleration unless you're absolutely straight in slippy conditions. Whether you like driving sideways or not, this in itself makes a massive difference.

Thanks to Henry for sorting it. He's a really nice chap. I have ESYS and a cable but flashing I wasn't happy to do and it was worth getting him to do it.

Hope that helps.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux

Last edited by gtsussex; 02-21-2018 at 02:42 AM..
Appreciate 3
eandy36.50
gatsojon498.00
Bee Pee1779.00