09-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
As someone who daily drives a 2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad, I do not recommend the Tacoma, especially if you're selling the M3 for it.

The transmission is awful, worst auto I've ever driven. Lazy and sloshy like the worst autoboxes of the 90s. There's a button to improve throttle sensitivity and shift programming, but it's marginally better.

The rear wheels hop like crazy if you give anything more than 50% throttle off the line, and this truck is NOT quick. Traction control basically doesn't work. Spin city and wheel hop. This is with the upgraded Bilstein shocks that the TRD offroad comes with, so the truck is absolutely not underdamped.

The brake feel is the weirdest I've ever experienced in any car in my life. After a year and a half I still can't modulate it right. The effort and force for the amount of travel is inconsistent. If you gradually pump to 50%, it will behave normally, but if you slam it to 50% in an emergency situation, the whole truck bucks and skids like you're slamming on the brakes. I honestly wouldn't blame the person behind me if they rear ended me in an emergency due to how wonky the brake feel is. I hate this the most.

I also have the extended cab with 6 ft bed, and the F80 has far more rear seat interior room. I have short legs for my height, so my seat is naturally farther forward than most people would set it at. And I still need to move myself forward for a car seat behind me or if an adult is sitting behind me.

The telescoping steering wheel is a joke, it honestly can't have more than 2 inches of travel. My arms are uncomfortable driving the truck, it needs 1-2 more inches of travel for my body.

These are things you don't really have time to figure out on a test drive, so I'm giving you the best review I can of the worst aspects of the truck. Normally I don't care this much about a daily, but after driving the Tacoma I couldn't WAIT to get into my M3 again. Or any other car really.

I came from a 300k mile 2008 Tundra, and that truck was so much better at behaving like a car than my Tacoma is. Way more room, normal brake feel, much better suspension tuning, far better transmission programming, and the 5.7L V8 was nice, although not necessary. I wanted to downsize for just overall easier maneuverability so I got the Tacoma this time around. Would never buy again.

If you're looking for something that can handle dirt, get a WRX STI and keep it at stock height. It's leagues better of a car than the Tacoma if you just need to get on some dirt paths. And way way more interior room.
Wow thanks for the honest assessment. I could always count on you to have a great opinion. Much thanks!

Its funny you mentioned the STI as I came from a 2015 WRX with STI Wing awhile back. My wife made me sell it because of the wing. I didn't want to own one without the wing.

Judging from everyone's response, maybe I will just keep my F80 and wait things out. I am going stir crazy a bit.

I did have some client meetings earlier today and taking my F80 on the freeway was glorious!
Appreciate 0