09-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #490
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 GT2, Touareg TDI, 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
1) This may apply to Porsche's, however this does not apply to BMW vehicles until recently. The most recent M vehicles to get the unitized rear subframe are the M3 GTS, CRT, F10 M5 and F13/F12 M6.

2)
The E92 M3 is not underpowered. It has a high revving nature and needs to be wound up to really appreciate its power delivery. A stock 335 feels faster on the street often times than an S65 powered M3 does. What the speed feels like is irrelevant, the E92 was a fast car. Fast or slow, the delivery of the engine was to die for.

3) The E92 M3 was a great M car. It feels connected with the driver. Yes it got heavier in comparison to the E46, but it also got better. It performed better in every way imaginable. The E46 carries over methodologies from the E30 days. It practically employs the same front suspension lay out from an E30 with a massive camber roll off which required exxagerated amounts of negative camber to maintain front end grip and the rear end was adopted from an E36 M3 for the most part. Unfortunately the E46 was plagued with an SMG. The 6MT was a much better variant.

The E9x platform changed the entire suspension lay out front & rear with respect to previous generations. For those of us who know the ins and outs of the current model, the underpinnings are nearly identical to the E9x M3 on the F8x model. They improved on things that should have been done previously and what some of us have been preaching for a while.

Examples:

Rear lower trailing arm is no longer a stamped steel unit with soft rubber bushings. It is evident it is a forged Al arm like the rest of the links in the rear with spherical bearings as bushings. As mentioned previously as well, the unitized subframe.

The 991 despite how it feels (yes I have lots of seat time in this car and the 997), is better than the 997. Its larger, wider, longer, but lighter and more balanced. The base 997 was awesome, but also twitchy. The brand new GT3 is awesome, and one of the most exciting cars of the year, even if it's not offered in 6MT and they ditched the Metzger.

6) Not sure where the 15 second gap is coming from. The E92 M3 GTS did the Nordschleife in 7:48 and the 997 GT3 RS 3.8 did it in 7:43. That's a 5 second difference, and yes that is giving the GT3-RS a run for it's money.

As much as I love the E46 M3 CSL, it's looks, its design philosophy and what it stands for, the fact that it is equipped with an SMG II makes it inferior. The M-DCT is a marvel of technology which rivals some of the best dual clutch gear boxes in production vehicles out there to date.
1) correct only on BMW

2) Please read it correctly. Underpowered for it's weight. The engine is brilliant

3) I understand very well how this works. I understand a lot about set up as I set up my cars myself. The fact they changed the geometry allowed the car to be a better car, but doesn't mean faster is better, the E9X is a muted heavy car that is not track worthy from factory, but I'm not here to talk about the flaws of this car as every car has it's own flaws.

6) Please .... get your facts straight. You're comparing with a test performed in 2003 !!!!! 10 years ago !!!!!! In case you don't know there are several iterations of GT3 RS, starting with the 996 model that was never available in the USA.

For comparison purposes as the BMW M3 GTS was a 2010 test, use the same time frame, a car that is current for it's time, which is a 997.2 GT3 RS (3.8)

Here is the lap time

30. Porsche 911 GT3 RS 7:33.00 Onboard N/A '10

Source - http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-t...times-top-100/

SO YES, IT IS A LIFE TIME !!! 48-33 = 15 seconds.
997.2 GT3 RS (gone to a great home)
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0