11-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #52
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
It's a little disingenuous to imply that just because ETA is owned by Swatch Group that the components are cheap, or low quality.

It's a bit like suggesting Ferrari is lower quality because it is owned by Fiat.
It was not my intention to imply that. I tried to explain that the movements was made by ETA, provided a link to a Wiki article on the company. And as a closing remark mentioned that ETA was owned by Swatch.

My intention was just to point out that ETA was owned by SWATCH. The post I was commenting on implied that Breitling etc was handmade/made more like the S65 engine. My point was to say that the movements they use are actually mass produced by a sub supplier.

I don't see the analogy to Ferrari. Ferrari engines are made by themselves, not by Fiat.

ETA movements are high quality. But the analogy that was made with high quality watches and the S65 engine wasn't a very good one. In fact the S55 engine would be more comparable with the Breitling watches (as the S55 is made on the main production plant, but not on a sub suppliers plant and used by other manufacturers like the ETA movements is though)

Maybe the PSA diesel engines are a better analogy to the ETA movements? PSA engines are manufactured by Peugeot and is used by Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo, Ford and others. But we digress.

Back to topic

Last edited by Boss330; 11-19-2013 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0