View Single Post
      04-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #24
808M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln30 View Post
I don't plan to use the stock amp and just need to know where to buy a pair of these drivers.

That said, speaker impedance rating are nominal ratings not actual. Some speakers stay very close to their rated resistance over the frequency range and others will very widely. This is likely why the stock amps work fine with some 4 ohm rated drivers and not others.

Edit: I would like to add. Anytime you go beyond what the amp is rated you will make the amp work harder and produce more heat. If the heat is dissapated fast enough you probably won't shut down the amp. I don't know how well the stock amps can do this under load for long periods of time with the bass boosted on the tone controls? So you do any of this at your own risk but some have had no issues.
If you plan on using an aftermarket amp, check its specs or talk with dealer selling. Most will give you power specs at 8 ohms and 4 ohms. Unless its a dedicated amp, I have never heard of an amp that cannot run either 8 ohm or 4 ohm "rated" speakers. Yes, there is an "ideal" resistance, but its not an absolute one. (Ohms is resistance, how difficult it is for an electrical current to "flow". 4 Ohms offers less resistance than 8 ohms. You will find that many amps produce more power at 4 ohms than at 8 ohms).
Overheating amps is not as simple as you have stated, there are many reasons. Most home audio amps, have fans or heat sinks to cool it, most car amps do not. Therefore, car amps need to be located where cool air can circulate around it, not in an enclosed space. Compatibility. If your amp is underpowered, you have to run it close to its max rating, which may cause it to overheat. If your amp has safety "features", it will shut down. If your amp "clips" it may destroy your speakers (no matter what your speakers are rated at.) On the other side, if you overpower your speakers, you will destroy them. It is advisable to put a fuse on the speakers.
Talk to an expert as to what your needs are. What is important is how loud you like your music. They will match an amp specs with your speakers spec..

Last edited by 808M3; 04-06-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0