Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
My concern as a conservative:

Here's what I think conservative means, belief that:

* Well-regulated free markets (and free trade) are the foundation of global peace and prosperity (I don't just believe that, we have 75 years of data proving it)

* An aggressive, liberal foreign policy is vital to national security; great diplomatic relationships globally based on daily in-person communication are key to preventing aggression and wars

* A strong military standing behind our diplomats. If relationships aren't possible, replace them with force

* Strong States-rights that create a marketplace of governance ideas - includes gun rights, abortion, etc

* Federal infrastructure to enable free markets: includes roads, bridges, power, and communication as well as education (k-c4), healthcare, retirement

Here's what's happening and my worry:
  1. Romney won almost all precincts Trump did; that is, Trump only did better in a few key districts
  2. Trump is now collapsing Conservative support in 99% of places he and Romney shared
  3. Existing Republicans have left themselves no way back from Trump

This means more conservatives will retire, and Democrats are going to win in Nov.

And that's going to be horrible, because they are the party of overreaching big government and wealth destruction.
Exactly. Well said and my overarching worry for some time.

Trump and the Republican Congress and Senate (but especially Congress) are acting like they’ve been elected for life! In the meantime they are systematically alienating voter block after voter block - I believe for generations to come.

I describe the GOP right now as being tactically brilliant (Gerrymandering, Identity Politics, etc) but Strategically gobsmackingly idiotic (alienating women, Black people, Muslims, moderate liberals, gays and lesbians, immigrants, the media, people with advanced degrees, trade partners, moderate conservatives, millennials, etc).

By and large these are all growing demographics. If you’ve pissed off these groups for a generation... how do you win once your enigmatic personality leaves? The answer is, you can’t. The GOP is sewing the seeds for years and years of Democrat rule - and as a conservative it drives me nuts because it’s as predictable as the sun coming up.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 2
minn1914064.50
GrussGott18195.50