European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow some curvy roads for ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Dackelone,

Do you know of any good twisty roads near Frankfurt except the B500?
I asked a few friends who live sort of in that area of Frankfurt. Here is where they said to go drive...

Quote:
Kiedrich
Quote:
There are some pretty cool roads going up the Rheingau. On the west side of the Rheine, from Bingen up to Koblenz.
Quote:
from Martinsthal to Schlangenbad to Montabaur (satnav should avoid Autobahn then you are good to go!). Then Gelbachtal and down to Koblenz. Nurburgring is close to Koblenz so can Go there or drive back on the rhine road to St Goarshausen and then Wiesbaden.

Of course my Munich friend's chimed in and said...
Quote:
You should come to Southern Bavaria and drive the world famous:
Rossfeldpanoramastrasse

Personally, I was thinking of a trip/tour to Pfalzgrafenstein Castle
(also called: Burg Pfalzgrafenstein) might also be interesting. ? Maybe taking this route from Frankfurt.
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Frank...1435!3e0?hl=en

I have been to Cochem and the very cool castle there... Reichsburg Cochem. I enjoyed driving the road on either side of the Mosel river there. I pretty much stuck to the Cochem side of the river there. From Cochem down to Trier is a nice drive. But the road is not really twisty but pretty with all the vineyards and castles. A lot of people come to Germany to see the Rhine river... I really much prefer driving around the Mosel. Burg Eltz and Burg Thurant are also very cool old castles you can tour.

Also in Cochem, you can park at the only parkhaus there... and take a chair lift - up the mountain side. When you get near the top... they take your picture and you can later buy a copy. There is a small coffee & cake place up there. Its quite nice. When I say chair lift... it is JUST THAT... a bench chair and nothing else!! It's quite cool. Just look for: "Cochemer Sesselbahn".

But I must confess, I have not driven much in that area of Germany. For me my true love is Southern Germany/Austria/Italy/Tirol - as you know!

I also found this motorcycle touring page with maps and areas of cool roads for motorcycles to drive. You can go into any German book store(or Amazon.de) and search for: Motorradtouren or Motorradstrecken.

Sorry this site is in German... but Google Translator works well.
http://www.hessen-netz.com/168/Motor...dstrecken.html

Here are the translated recommendations of that site... I only translated the first four. But the last one might be just what the Doctor ordered!

Motorcycle tour Rhein-Mosel

Rhein-Mosel river tour (Day trip) from Frankfurt the Rhine up to Koblenz and then along the Mosel river to Traben-Trarbach and back through Hunsrück and Rüdesheim.

Motorcycle tours Odenwald

Biking in the Odenwald is worthwhile, south of Frankfurt there are beautiful motorbike routes down to the Neckar, such as the motorcycle tour Odenwald / Höchst - Necker - Miltenberg. The Odenwald tour for motorcyclists from Höchst in the Odenwald(Oden forest) through Brombachtal and Mossautal to Wald-Michelbach and further to Hirschhorn on the Neckar(river) is one of the most beautiful biker tours in the Odenwald. On the return journey you can travel best via Zwingenberg, Neckargerach and then north to the Bavarian Miltenberg. Last stage of the tour past Aschaffenburg again to Frankfurt.

Krähberg: The L3108(road) between Beerfelden-Hetzbach and Hesseneck-Kailbach over the Krähberg is closed from 15 March to 31 October on weekends and holidays for motorcycles. (so open during weekdays)

Zotzenbach: The L3409 between Zotzenbach and the Kreidacher Höhe is closed on Saturdays from 2 pm on Sundays and on Sundays and holidays completely for motorcycles.

Motorcycle tour Sensbachtal (Odenwald)

Sensbachtal-Tour with motorbike in the Odenwald: The route from the B45 east via Sensbach into the Sensbachtal between Beerfelden and Hetzbach is a real curve experience(!!), but nowadays with an official speed limit of 60 km / h! Please note for motorbike tours to the Sensbachtal: On weekends and holidays the L3120 between Beerfelden and Sensbachtal is closed to motorcycles.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Maybe also ask locals where you are staying for suggestions too. I can't wait to see your pics of this visit.

One last place of interest for your Frankfurt trip... in small village of Geierlay, is Germany's longest suspension bridge! IF you are not the faint of heart... you might want to check it out! From what I understand you have to park your car and hike/walk a bit to get to the bridge. Geierlay Hängeseilbrücke
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Bes....3473483?hl=en

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 0