View Single Post
      01-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #27
l00semarble
Private
Rep
Drives: GT3RS, FocusRS, E400 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
you have mixed up US and ROW cars together. The first car on Vossen wheels is from Poland, for example.

I have the 420 code on my German car where it is a factory option for about 250 bucks. If yours is a true US car with Privacy Glass only available outside the US, and you cannot get it registered in your state, there is something wrong and fishy going on. It's like BMW would sell you a car without front bumper reflectors or with kph gauges.
Sorry I didn't mean to gloss over your informative post. I understand what you are saying and you bring up a good point about my random collection of images being some ROW.

I ran my VIN in the decoder:

S420A "Sun Protection Glazing" is on the car according to the decoder. The other stuff in there looks like a normal US car. Type is "M3 (USA)". DVD area code 1. US stereo.

here is the stamp on the factory tinted glass:

This is even more interesting with the input from Tintking.

Tintking - if the photo above if there were film over the letter/logos and over the dot matrix part would it be possible to detect the tiny bit of lifting over the raised bits? I've seen this on other tint jobs.

Maybe the car has film but I really can't believe that myself, sales guy, sales manager, service manager, general manager of dealership, and staff at MD certified inspection shop cannot detect it when looking as closely and carefully as possible. If I were near the car I would use a razor blade to attempt to lift a hidden edge or even try to cut/scrape a hidden place as tint would cut/scape but privacy glass would not. Something just doesn't add up. This is a US vehicle and it must have been a legal option.

So lets take a look at another 30th Jahre that is for sale in Pennsylvania. I tried to contact this guy but he does not seem to answer PMs.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1669711

he has his window sticker linked in the for sale post. It does not mention privacy glass but he car has the exact same look as "mine." The ad doesn't say it but i get the impression he is the original purchaser since he is claiming no rain etc. I'm trying to ask him if he has film on the car which I highly doubt.

I ran the VIN decoder on his VIN (WBS8M9C52H5G83655). Interestingly his VIN is 1 sequence number higher than "mine." His VIN decode report looks to be IDENTICAL to "mine" including the S420A "Sun Protection Glazing"

I'm not convinced of any explanation offered so far including:

1. There is film.
2. There is no film but car has factory installed ROW privacy glass option that is not 50 state legal.
3. Glass has been changed to non-US glass.

Thanks for all the participation. Any other theories?

Last edited by l00semarble; 01-10-2020 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0