06-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #630
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
As you, I am (a little) mad about the engine and the DCT. I decided to take the leap of faith anyway, but I am not yet sure I will like it.
Actually I have DCT in my E90 M3, and I love it.

I'm not at all anti-technology or old school. I just happen to like the sound of high RPMs and the responsiveness of the S65.

Quote:
You are however being at bit harsh on some of the points you bring. Yes, the S55 will need to be short shifted. But at 7000~7300rpm, not at 5500rpm.
You can see it from the power curve; sure, you CAN run it to 7k, but you'll be faster if you get it into the next gear at 5500, and some reviewers have already noted that. On the other hand, the S65 should be taken to 8k+ for max speed. It's a monster on the high end, and it's thrilling.

Quote:
While it might not be as special as the S65,
LOL, come on! It's the same engine as comes in half BMW's lineup, except with a tune!

Quote:
the S55 is a bespoke engine, not a tuned N55. Almost every component in the engine is unique. Yes, a tuned FBO N55 can make as much power, but for how long? After one lap it either heat soaks or goes in limp mode. That is where the ///M engineering went. I am still a bit wary about throttle response and the overall feel of the engine.
I can't wait to hear some guy with his "S" 55, talking to the JB3 N55 guy who outruns him:

"Oh yea, well, I have a better RADIATOR!".

LOL.

Quote:
As for sound, to be honest, when I first got my E92, I preferred the sound of my old stock S54. I just loved how this engine screamed its lungs out at WOT nearing redline. The S65 sounded monotone almost video gamish in contrast.
I have no disagreement with that. The S54 is a sweet-sounding, and nice performing engine. That nasty, metallic thrumming at redline is amazing! The S54, S65 and S85 are absolutely the pinnacle of "everyday guy" engines. They're all magnificent.

Quote:
Three successive things I did drastically improved the sound of the car, MPE, K&N and BPMSport tune. Now the sound is pure bliss. I barely use the stereo anymore. I keep getting compliments for how good the car sounds from neighbors, track buddies or techs at the dealer.
Interesting. I've done nothing to mine, but maybe I should look into this?!

Quote:
I am pretty sure the S55 will never match this.
Oh, you're more than "pretty sure". Might as well go ahead and say so. Can you make it sound better than stock? Yea, probably. Perhaps Dinan will be able to kill the speaker-engines for you when they give it a tune? But will it ever sound like it's running 8000+ rpm and have telepathic throttle response? Uh, NO!

Quote:
I think the chassis will be fabulous though on this latest gen, and for me, this is very important.
Yea, me too - it'll be good, and it matters.

Quote:
I guess I will know for sure in a few weeks when I get mine. If I don't like it, I will just sell it and move on to something else .
I'm not over it yet that they abandoned great engines, for commodity engines, so I'm not even close to buying. I'd pick up an RS5 first, despite the douches they have hawking them locally. Or more likely, just hang on to my E90 for now.
Appreciate 0