2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This.

You also have to realize that, just because you have a romantic affection for a car does not mean that it won't look outdated by the majority of the population. With very few exceptions, to the typical eye, old cars look old and new cars look new. It's just the way it is - it's the designers and engineers doing their jobs.

If you are hoping to buy an F8x (or any car) with the notion that "This is the one. I'm committing for life", well it's a nice fantasy, but it's going to wear off. You'll want the next great thing, or at best, if you really have some patience, the next great one after that. Just buy the car knowing you'll get a few good years from it, drive the hell out of it while you have it, and just be happy you get to experience it for that time.
Completely agree with this. How many of us have progressed through the different generations of M3's? Over that time, when we purchased them, we thought "Wow." With that, I have learned that it will date itself on me. I don't think that BMW is so much into an evolution of a signature design. It is a what is needed for the next generation approach that is partially dictated by what competition is doing. If I was to look back, I would still to this day pick the e46 M3 as the best design of the lot. Maybe it does not have all the tricked out stuff of the newer generations, but it looked good, was a NA engine, and to this day, IMHO, looks good on the road.

I realize my own limitations as mkoesel has already articulated. Come 5 yrs from now, I will want something different. Maybe the automotive industry will have decided to go back to non turbo engines or we will move to superchargers. Who knows? But the more I think about it, I am starting to lean towards a 911 for the simple reason that no matter how much tech Porsche decides to put into these cars, they basic DNA of the design will be present, and identifiable, which I think helps to reduce, or not mitigate, my desire to change all the time.

I think I have also come to realize that I want to get the most out of a car that I own, rather than lease it for 3-4 yrs before moving to the next one. I drove my first car into the ground, which was a vehicle my father gave me. I got my use out of that '73 Ford wagon with the 600 cubic inch engine. But, I think I want to do the same with a daily driver again. Sorry if I went off topic. This was a nice topic by the OP and a great response by mkoesel.
Appreciate 0