01-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #41
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Cross country would be pretty rough. I almost bought a car in San Luis Obispo, was going to have it shipped back to NC. Then I discovered the utter ridiculousness of buying a car in CA and taking it out of state, don't recommend ANYONE do that, at least not from a dealer. The hoops you have to jump through is completely absurd, you can't even take delivery on the car in CA, it's delivered straight the shipper, can't touch CA roads or you'll have to pay the RIDICULOUS CA sales tax ON TOP OF your own state's t&l fees. Not too mention I also discovered that BMW of San Luis Obispo are a bunch of lying, cheating asshats. SOOOOOO glad that I ditched that deal.

My advice for anyone looking to purchase out of state is to do you due diligence regarding licensing, taxes, and DMV fees. When I bought my car from IL, the dealer did all the NC DMV paperwork for me, I paid *NC* taxes and fees, they gave me a 30 day plate, and I was on my way. Same for the 3 cars I've purchased from GA. NOT the case buying in CA at all, it is pure PAIN!
I didn't take a car off the lot, but ordered a car through a CA dealer for pickup at the Performance Center. It was the easiest auto transaction I've ever had.