01-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #42
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I didn't take a car off the lot, but ordered a car through a CA dealer for pickup at the Performance Center. It was the easiest auto transaction I've ever had.
Was it new? New car transfers are pretty straightforward from what I understand. I was looking for used, and wasn't comfortable buying something used sight unseen. Was going to fly out to check the car out first, then take a week in the area with family, then have the car shipped back. But CA laws don't allow for temporary tags for cars sold out of state without paying the 9% sales tax (our tax in NC is 3%). The dealer will lie to you and tell you that you'll get the CA taxes refunded when you actually register it in your home state, but it's simply not true. I called the CA DMV and they told me there's no way they are going to refund anyone anything, ever, regardless of where the car gets registered. From what I understood, private party sales are a different matter in that you can at least drive the car on CA roads for a short period of time (IIRC correctly, 1-2 days).