ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcintosh339 View Post
Question. As a non engineer, slightly ignorant individual, why go from a dual turbo system down to one? More turbos = more boost, yes? With your knowledge and availability with parts, why not just change the current twin turbo system, try for better airflow and move from there.

OR, was this a passion project to test your own limits? All very impressive stuff, great work.
Good question. Usually OEM or aftermarket companies will use twin turbos since two turbos usually have a lower polar moment of inertia than one larger turbo, which means the two smaller turbos should have faster transient response and spool up quicker while having the same power potential as a single large turbo.

With the advent of the Borg Warner EFR turbos, they utilize a Gamma-Ti turbine wheel which has half of the inertia compared the exact same size turbine wheel made out of Inconel or Mar-M. This dramatically affects transient response, and with their redesigned compressor wheel that flows a lot more, I chose to go this route.

The sound, response, power and simplicity this setup produces is found no where else on the market, hence why I decided to make it myself.

Last edited by chetrickerman; 11-04-2022 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 2