SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14582954
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
I don't know how people do look forward to a twin turbo inline 6 as M. Time to switch to Porsche.
Pretty lame, I agree. Goes to show what most people know about cars and engines. The day will come when track days become a bunch of geezers sitting around watching how their self-driving car v1.04 beats their friend's v1.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Town550i View Post
LOL....

I could have sworn I heard these same rants when BMW went with a V8 in the e9x M.
First, you need to understand the fundamental difference between engines types? This is a *much* larger departure from ///M than anything else they've done on M5s and M3s.
M engines have followed the basic trait of NA, high revving. The traits of good engine builders, just FYI.
No head of an M division has said 'we'll never build a V10'. But they have said, numerous times, that they wouldn't build turbocrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
The coming engine is likely to spin to 7,500 rpms with an additional 100 lb ft. of torque at lower rpms all in a package that is a couple hundred pounds less. What exactly is there to complain about?
I'm going to explain it real simply

engine torque=X
rpms=Y
power=Z
constant=k

So here it is
Z=X*Y*k

So they've told us
Z is the same or almost the same
Y is almost the same, 7500 vs 8400
k is a constant, it's the same

So, this engine cannot exist. The only way for it to happen is if torque is WAY lower at max HP than peak torque. This eliminates the surging, incremental power of a proper engine.
Appreciate 0