View Single Post
      01-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #174
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Well, faster is faster. And lets not forget what car was still picked as the BETTER car. And I would damn hope 60 more hp, 140 lb ft of tq and the same weight would be faster on a track. Even out the power numbers and lets see where the vette comes out.
And I expect the m3/4 to be close in a straight, after all it's got likely 50-60 hp more and 100 tq more. On the track the m3/4 will not stand a chance especially seeing as I doubt it will even break 7:50 on the ring.
I won't be eating any words, because there are plenty of fast sedans out there. Lets not forget a panamera turbo a schools everything bmw on the track being 4600 lbs and it's also faster than a dedicated track car in the m3 gts in a straight by a lot. And if the vette needs 60 hp and 140 tq more to keep pace I'm sure the m3/4 will need at least that and certainly won't put down the track numbers. Plus the 991.2 will be out soon too.
The m3/4s performance will hinge on its true weight and how underpowered it is.
I think it's time to STOP comparing the Chevrolet Corvette and Porsche 911 to the M3/M4. The corvette is a 2-SEAT sportscar and the 911 is a 2+2. And both will probably be the 2nd car someone buys. The M3/M4 is a 4 seater and is most probably the ONLY car one will need with all the convenience of the 3/4 series (room in the back for children, lots of trunk space etc), but with ALMOST the same performance/handling (on the road if not on the track) as the Vette and 911.

The only fair comparisons to the M3/4 are the RS4 from Audi and C63 AMG from Mercedes Benz and we all know why the M3 is still a better car (Audi = understeer balance, Mercedes = no manual gearbox). GTR IMO is not in the same category because of small back seat (more a 2+2) and unrefined character (hard as rock suspension etc...).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...