View Single Post
      08-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #18
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

I actually strongly agree with this article.

Carplay issues are the major part of my day to day aggravation currently (driving wise, the car really is a blast). Having a consistent Carplay connection where I don't have to be mentally uncertain about "is this thing going to connect, or am I going to idle for 2 minutes while I restart my wifi and phone or even re-pair Bluetooth". Same with constantly seeing "Cannot connect to (null)" on apps, the knob not working, CarPlay screen being blank or laggy. Just imagine if you had to spend 2 minutes fixing your radio every morning because the tuner components were unreliable.

Quite odd how $20K rental car specials can get this reliable but BMW cannot. German mechanical engineering is rumored to be good, how about that software engineering? I also never understood the obsession with wireless-only CarPlay, and now the $90/year subscription ding. It's these very low-cost but high "mental enjoyment impact" factors. I've tried upgrading the iDrive software, and iOS software consistently (used both iOS 11 and 12), and am hoping that iOS 13 fixes something, but based on reliability in other vehicles ranging from Ford, Citroen, Chevrolet, Hondas, Audis, etc. I think the culprit is clear

Yes, I enjoy my 335hp RWD sports coupe and that's overwhelmingly why I still wouldn't trade it in for a worse-performing car just on CarPlay issues. But if I had to give up 15 hp/go back to the M235i's N55, and a bit of suspension tuning to have 100% reliable CarPlay? Probably worth it on a daily driver. Yes, I grew up with cars without CarPlay or with only tape players + AM FM radio. But it's one of those technological improvement things where people naturally demand perfection.

The Android auto point is also very relevant: The iOS vs. Android gap is not that huge even at upper income levels: In the US, this article estimates 16M Android households over $100K income vs. 20M iOS households over $100K income. https://www.businessinsider.com/char...e-by-os-2013-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44
I was ready for a new phone, and I switched from Android to an iPhone 7 because I had recently bought my 2017 M3 and ordered it with CarPlay in anticipation for the switch. After pairing up the phone, my call quality was complete garbage, so much static. ... About the only thing I liked about CarPlay was the integration with my music apps.
If you still want to give CarPlay a shot, it may be worth upgrading the iDrive software (didn't make a huge difference to me on my MY2017 but might help)

Last edited by EstorilM240; 08-29-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0