09-16-2020, 12:31 AM   #82
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwz View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with 911 but the price point of a GT3 makes me think twice. For example, you could source a good condition McLaren 570s or 650s if you are track focus and it will give you a more exotics car looks. But in terms of daily drive or reliability, Porsche is definitely better. Just my own ideas.
Okay so why does everyone assume that if you spend $100K+ on a car, you want attention? I'm perfectly happy to be invisible as possible in my GT3 /endrant.

That being said, I did consider a 570s or 650s instead of the GT3 since they're awesome to drive. However, realistically, you have to assume $8-$10K per YEAR in maintenance and warranty costs for the life of the car once it's out of the factory warranty. They are more reliable than they were from the original MP4-12C era, but should shit break, you're in for a nasty surprise- any minor repair is literally $3-5K. Plus all work really has to be done at a dealer because McLaren won't allow independent shops to buy parts. I'm in Atlanta, so there's a McLaren dealer here, but if you're in, say, Topeka, KS, you have to ship the damn thing for repairs. This is probably why you don't see a lot of "long term" McLaren owners.

On the flip side, Porsche's are generally very reliable and well built. Maintenance on my GT3 is really no different than an F8X. An oil change every 5k miles and spark plugs recommended every 10K miles. That's basically it. I just had an oil change service, brake fluid flush (due to age of my car) and spark plugs replaced and it was $600 at an indy using Motul fluids. I don't even think an oil change is that cheap on a 650s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
True they're all about the same price point. Assuming warranty on the McLaren (reliability concerns aside), take a McLaren for road/daily purposes, GT3 for track.

GT3's aren't good street cars. Tolerable at best to/from the track, between blasts up the rev range or through corners. You never hear that because all of the reviewers are giddy about the engine and enjoy the car for a few hrs at a time on mountain roads.
GT3 can be an pretty good street car- have you lived with one? The one major downside I've found in my GT3 for daily driving is the road noise. At 80mph it's pretty loud in the car though I'm sure a bit of it has to do with the Cup 2 tires. The engine is a little grumpy at low revs, but the ride is sublime. My F80 had a horrid ride in comparison- always felt too stiff, and the throttle was too touchy with the tune. Those of you that have loud exhausts, aggressive tunes, and coilovers on your F8Xs have it way worse in daily driving than I do in my GT3.

That being said, if I had to daily drive a long distance (say more than 20 miles) and sit in traffic for an hour each way, I'd definitely have chosen a 911 GTS; it has the (way) quieter ride, available radar cruise control, heated cooled seats, blind spot monitors, yada yada. But I'm fortunate to have been able to work from home for the past several years so a commute is of zero concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
Congratulations to OP, just came across this thread. Absolutely gorgeous. I love my M4 more than anything, it's my realistic dream car. But if the right Porsche comes along at the right price... hate to say it but I'm going to convert too. Especially given the hideous G M4 renders :
Thanks! The ugly new M3/M4 grille+ (probably) not lovely sound track sealed the deal for me. The GT3 was/is my dream car and I have no regrets. It's better than I could have imagined and there's no looking back now.

Last edited by UGADawgFan; 09-16-2020 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
paliknight2192.50
jc05e46m3847.50