View Single Post
      04-23-2014, 03:06 AM   #91
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT
Nice informative article on the new S55 engine. Just between the lines is a lot about the character of the new M engine to experience.

Completely without a doubt the new M3/M4 F8X will put the old E9x M3 in all the disciplines of driving dynamics clearly in the shadows.

But I 'm pretty sure that an F8X M3/M4 with an S65 and the old M- DCT would most likely beat the F8X with the S55 on the track and in any case it would be much easier with him to be fast on the track.

This is certainly not easy to explain, but neither hp nor torque make a car on the track really fast, but the "driveability" of the vehicle , ie the combination of linear power delivery, stiffness of body and powertrain , stable brakes , perfect suspension and good traction. In all respects (except for the first) , and the slightly lower weight , the new M3/M4 has increased performence and that makes him so fast, so that it does not play here the role that the engine in terms of " driveability " is not so perfect.
Sure , the S55 with its higher torque feels purely subjective considerably stronger than the old S65 , but this felt more power is much more difficult to optimally implement into propulsion , as the S65 where the power is very linear implement in perfect propulsion - extremely fast revving and perfectly linear power curve are the key words here.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get an F8X M3/M4 with S65 and the old M-DCT, so that the ultimate evidence, that an S65 would have been the better engine choice for the F8X specifically on the track, will not be rendered.

Greeting BMW M3 CRT
I bet someone somewhere will put an S65 into the F80 at some point (as long as it physically fits)
Appreciate 0