View Single Post
      06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #172
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

People always come up with increasingly asinine "proofs" that their *subjective opinion* is "correct". The more elaborate it gets, the dumber it sounds.

At the end of the day, *sound* is subjective. What this clip shows is that some people do *not* like the sound of a turbo 6, and some people do. Thats it. Nothing more. There is no "right". "Tradition" is BS. There is no "wrong". No one is "but hurt". People just like what they like.

One thing though is that this is no more "traditional" than the E92. So that is total BS. Last i checked no prior M3 was *forced induction*

The E30 was a FOUR CYLINDER normally aspirated 7000RPM redline

The E36 was a six cylinder inline normally aspirated with a 7000RPM redline

The E46 was a six cylinder inline normally aspirated with a 7900RPM redline

The E92 is a V8 normally aspirated with an 8400RPM redline

The only *universal constant* is >normally aspirated<. So anyone who wants to claim "tradition" because of a "return" to an inline 6, and at the same time claim that anyone who doesnt see that somehow doesnt "understand BMW", is being ridiculous because last i checked the M3 *started* with a 4 and *never* had a turbo.

All of that said, to me "tradition" is the *sum* of its parts. It isnt an engine, its a general guiding principal. Some of this sounds like the crap you hear in the Porsche community over the switch from air to water cooling. I am sure the M3/M4 will be a solid performer and a great addition to the family. *Personally*, I don't like the high strung forced induction sound at all, but I understand that some love it. To me this vid reminded me of my modded Evo X sound in some ways. I also dont like that the coupe has become an "M4", but thats a BMW branding decision.

Like any new addition this one will have vocal detractors that declare "BMW over" (as has happened *every* generation) and will pick up lots of new fans (and lots of once vocal, but suddenly quiet converts from the older model once they are used and cheaper )
Appreciate 0