View Single Post
      02-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #77
elite53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 35i

I recently read an article about DCT gearboxes that said the oil in these new style gearboxes main purpose is not as lubrication (although it does do that) but to act as a hydraulic fluid that allows the gearbox to function and change gears. It went on to say that because of this and the internal filters that they can run to very long service intervals. (lifetime?) The recommendation was that it only would need changed if the gearbox was subjected to very high temperatures such that the viscosity of the fluid could be broken down. An example was multiple track days in the Arizona dessert. I really want to say the article was was written by Blackstone Laboratories? But, I can't seem to find it now. They went on to say that if you live in a mild climate like I do (Seattle) leave it alone. If you live in the dessert and drive it hard change it. Just wanted to pass along what I read. I would personally feel better changing it myself but I haven't seen a good written procedure on how to do it properly?
Appreciate 0