View Single Post
      08-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #95
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
There has been some very promising information about the use of composites in the i3. That bodes well for the M4/M3. However, the pricing and thus design choices are almost ALL about volume. I don't know sales volumes projections for the i3 but the M3 will probably (again) be targeting about 100,000 cars over its entire lifespan of 5-7 years. This is not a huge volume and it is made inexpensively by sharing a great deal of parts in common with the base model. Yes many key parts are changed but many including key things like the engine block will be common parts. You can't save money by making a bunch of low volume major structural components from CF. As mentioned in earlier discussions here likely components are things like non structural/non crash critical parts such as the transmission tunnel, firewall, rear wall of the trunk, rear "package" shelf frame, etc. Bumper components are already composite (kevlar IIRC not CF) and the new cars doors will likely be aluminum shells, not composite.
I think the M chief gave pretty specific details on what areas have been lightened vs the base car. There are many here including yourself though who thinks the car is going to be super expensive with any meaningful use of CFRP as in for example the seats and that just minimum weight can be saved compared to the E9X M3. I'm just saying that BMW has shown with the i3 that they can produce and sell major CFRP constructions to a very modest price. I don't think the dogma that CFRP in any meaningful quantity will make a car like the M3 cost prohibitive is true any more for BMW. They have now invested in tools, technology and supplier chains to the point that it's production ready. The main plant is here in Moses Lake. I know your stance and explanations but I don't share them.

I think the curb weight will start with 33 when configured optimally. We'll see.

Last edited by solstice; 08-06-2013 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0