Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong
Quote:
Originally Posted by viobruin View Post
Power dome makes me a little sad. Was hoping BMW would go back to making it flow with the lines of the hood like the e46 M3. Instead, they made it like the e92 M3 and, alas, it continues to look like a giant zit.
Can always tell which people don't even own or have experience with an m3. The powerdome as mentioned as the size it was as it is needed to squeeze in a v8 with huge trumpets on individual throttle bodies. It barely clears as it is. The e46m3 had no size it needed to be because it was not needed. So irrelevant.

I wish the new m3 would not have it since its not a functional component. The e90 had non-functional side gills which looked great and were more style over function anyway but still not ideal. The e90 m3 had functional hood vents (one of them but other for symmetry and many take the rubber lining off and use it for extra engine cooling), functional buldge on hood.

Maybe we will be surprised by some trick intake manifold that necessitates a little bulge. Who knows. Hope this car gets some functional brake vents for once. Would be super cheap but if they could create a really nice path to the rotors to cool would be great.
Having an opinion on styling tells nothing of whether someone owns or has experienced an M3. I would hope the designers at BMW are skilled enough to design a power dome that both clears the engine and flows with the lines of the car.

The fact that the M4 will apparently not even need a functional power dome makes the design even more egregious, as it means that BMW had full liberty to design it without any of the constraints of functionality.