View Single Post
      02-29-2024, 03:29 PM   #14
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
You said the widest tire you can run is a 275 on the front and that’s due to the tire contacting the strut/spring? 275/295 will be better than the staggered setups you’ve been running. A stiffer sway bar can potentially help to reduce understeer on a front strut suspension by providing better control of the camber curve (strut suspension lose camber with suspension compression) but if you’re already struggling with understeer it’s probably not a wise addition. Try the 20 mm stagger first and see whether that reduces the understeer.

Critically damped motion is when a suspension oscillation/disturbance is damped out without the motion overshooting its original undisturbed starting position; i.e., it’s the least amount of damping that results in no vibration (see the second figure in the link below and the curve for zeta = 1.0)

https://www.racecompengineering.com/...itical-damping

You typically want the suspension to be underdamped at low, mid and high damper piston speeds (relative to the damper body) for cars without real downforce. As an example, at lower piston speeds the damping will be around 60-80% of critical damping and at higher piston speeds it’ll be around 20-40% of critical damping. If the suspension is overdamped then the suspension will take too long to return to its starting position so if you encounter a second bump your suspension becomes jacked down (unable to absorb the second bump) with a sudden loss of grip. This is why we’re saying adjusting your single-adjustable (SA) dampers (R&T adjusts both rebound and compression together) to address understeer at low piston speeds (initial turn in) will result in too much/too little damping at higher piston speeds (bump midcorner or a bumpy braking zone). You’ll always have a compromised setup with SA dampers because different parts of the track may require different damping settings.

I found this MOTON article where they say that to combat understeer, stiffen the rebound at the front, I'm trying to combat understeer on my m2c with 285/30/18 square (Before with 285/35 tires I had no problems) my GTS turns much better with 275F/285R.

Appreciate 0