07-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #223
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I'm not an expert on turbos, but a centrifugal supercharger (like Paxton, ProCharger etc) are basically a compressor part of a turbo, driven by a belt off the crank. So, I don't see any issues with a electrical motor driving a turbo, in fact that would be even better suited than a belt drive off the crank because an electrical motor can change rpm's independently of the crank rpm. I might be proven wrong, but that solution seems to me to be much better, engineeringwise. You don't have to add a extra pump and the required valving and hardware needed for that pump. Just add an electrical motor/generator to the existing "pump" (turbo).

And, a turbo is designed to be propelled by exhaust. But what the exhaust does is "only" to spin the turbine shaft, in effect changing the rpm of the turbine shaft and thereby the compressor part of the turbo can do it's job. Whether the turbine shaft is driven by exhaust or the electrical motor doesn't make any difference, does it?
In theory, in practice to flow enough air to make a difference, it takes a very large amount of power.....I'm told a journal bearing turbo under full load uses 1000watts of power to drive just the bearings. Not the compressor load, just thrust bearing load. 1000watts from a 12v system is one large electric motor, just to overcome the bearing losses. The compressor requires a significant amount more than this to actually do the work it requires. You can work it out, but I'm guessing you would need 5000watts minimum. And what does that give you? when does it come into action? Everytime you are sitting at the lights idling? All the time you are cruising along the highway, just in case you want to give it some? 5000watts is around 370 Amps. That is cabling thicker than your thumb to handle that power, and draining the battery way faster than the alternator can charge. Not a practical solution.
Appreciate 0