09-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #147
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
that is like saying before air bags came out, had you driven a non airbag car for years, they'd also be pointless. or antilock brakes for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
Just because you specced them on your A4 doesn't make them "cool" to everyone.

Comparing LED running lights to airbags or ABS brakes is an embarrassing comparison, especially for someone bandying around the word "stupid". When it's dark cars have things called headlights, and on all of my recent cars they've been auto-on. There have also been regular running lights for about 30 years, just because Audi began a trend of LED striplights does not mean they are to everyone's tastes or that they are in anyway a safer option than the daytime markers on Toyotas etc.
I think the point isn't comparing LED to ABS but rather that just because you have been driving for 20 years without something, doesn't make it pointless by having them. He could've made the same point by saying if you've been driving for 20 years with manual windows, it doesn't make electric windows pointless.

And LED lights aren't pointless. They have a safety value (e.g., here and here) in providing better illumination thus visibility, and they turn on faster allowing for better reaction time with brake lights. They're also more eco-friendly by being more energy efficient (less fuel and less CO2)... etc.

Individually, these improvements aren't that much, but in aggregate it does make a difference and every little bit counts. And I don't know how the new 3-Series (the F80 in particular if true) is going backwords by not using them.
Appreciate 0