bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Not sure where you are getting this from

BMW has been making great V8s throughout its history.
Eh not really. Their first V8 was the OHV V8 from the 50's in 60's which was meh. Then there was a 25ish year gap with no V8's made. In the early 90's BMW introduced the M60, which wasn't really that powerful for its size. I mean it wasn't a bad engine, it just wasn't great. Then the M62 came out, the only real performance difference is that had more torque. The S62 was a great engine however. Very sporty yet civilized. The next V8 was the N62, which was a good engine. It did have a weird characteristic though, it had massive throttle lag on start-off (and I mean massive throttle lag). I have driven all sorts of BMW's and never experienced that amount of lag. The next V8 was the S65, which actually powers God's chariot. Then we have the N63, which as we all know is very powerful. However its not very exciting.

So BMW isn't really a renowned maker of V8's. They have made two greats, one good, the rest are meh. Where as they have a much more consistent record with their inline 6's. I would have to agree with the statement that BMW has never really been about V8's.
Appreciate 0