Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
So, the shop that built and maintains my SM was pretty clear that “if you want to track a Porsche don’t bother with modifying your street car and get a cup car”.

It’s $70k for a 997 cup and it costs about $500 per hour to run. If you add up your 981 purchase cost and mods cost and consumables for 4-6 days a yeat, I bet you are really close in cost between using a 7cup and modded 981 for DEs. And at the risk of stating the obvious, a factory competition car is extremely capable.

I know I’m not going to talk you out of getting a 981 and modding it and tracking it, so have fun. They are nice cars

Have you looked into c5 z06 that’s been previously competition prepared? Add back the cat and put the plates on, and you have a $20k car that’s an absolute BEAST and is much cheaper to run than porsche.

I’m really interested in that car, and will consider stepping up once I can consistently get my times down to the target time for my particular SM
$70k for a cup car is definitely out of the question right now. I think I would be jumping into the deep end much too soon! Really, I just want a fun car that I can track and mod for fun. Not looking to compete with anyone but myself at this point. Suspension, brakes, tires, etc are something I would mod on a street car as well, but a 981 would let me get on the track with something a little more sporty than my M3 CS. I could lean a little more on the 981 with mods since my wife and kid aren't going to be riding in it: harsher suspension that what I would normally get on the M3, performance brakes that I don't mind if they squeal as much etc... Basically, following your advice from a few months back: more sporty weekend coupe, and a sensible daily. I want to widen the gap between the two more.

That being said, I opened up my M3 CS today on the way to work. I had just gotten the 1200 mi service. It really is a beast, and if I can't find the perfect 981, I'm not going to be worried too much.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0