View Single Post
      03-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3 Azurite Black

My tuning experience from stock, jb4, custom tunes, and BM3 with Cary Jordan

Just a quick summary of everything I experienced from JB4, to local tuning, to finally bootmod3 by Cary Jordan. This is not to compare numbers, but instead the curves and my overall experience. Sorry for the long story, so if TL;DR, the pictures can at least tell most of the story.

So I bought the car only a year ago so still had a long warranty ahead of me so figured would start light with the mods and picked up JB4, and VRSF downpipes. I bought them from X-PH and the price and delivery time were great. The VRSF downpipes fit perfectly and looked great. The dyno below is downpipes and jb4 installed, on a "low reading dyno" map 0, map 1, map 2.

Some torque picked up, but very little power gained after 5000/5500 which if you are redlining of course is where you will be living in power curve.

I emailed the reps of jb4 asking if they might know why i gained tq and low end power but not much up top, they said they didnt know but that i probably had bad octane (i had only ever used shell 93 or sunoco 93) so a week or two later on a new tank of gas I came back to rerun the car (on the other dyno, this one typically reads a bit higher than the first) and see: (First pull was map 0, last 3 were map 2)

Same/similar story. Torque gained, little to no significant power up top. Burger tuning said maybe it was intake flow or intake temps.

The tuner at the shop I happened to be dynoing the car said it was ignition timing, but that he sells his own tune separately if I wanted him to do a custom tune for my car. I explained i wanted the power up top and said the dyno graph advertised at the time was more what i was going for as it's peak HP came late in the curve. I bought that and his intakes and reached the power below:

The intakes are great, sound good feel good look good, the tune certainly picked up power, but not really where i wanted it, and made the car a handful to drive. The power came in so hard that on upshifts (even when upshifting early) the transmission would basically buck, the longer i held RPMs the more I felt the transmission hating me. I had to upshift at 6k rpm or so, and still struggled to manage traction, so to me I wasn't actually sure if it was much faster than stock where i could have managed the power and held gears longer.

So after driving it for a bit, I asked the tuner if he can push power later into the curve with less torque and smoother delivery, after at least a couple of sessions of working the car over a couple of months or so he managed the following, which i was very happy with.

It finally had me on par with where i wanted to be which was similar (i felt) to most peoples typical jb4 map 2 + downpipes power bands & HP. This what i had asked for and though i had to potentially give up my warranty and bring the car there a few times, I received it on the custom 93 tune and again I was happy with it.

Not too much longer, and with everyone having success with e85 mixes, I got greedy and took him up on his e60 tune to find some extra power, hoping to keep the same shape of a power curve. No such luck on the power band, but the car did still get faster overall:

Pulled hard from a roll, but the car was a handful to launch or WOT in 1st/2nd. I was running low 12s at the track and the car was doing ridiculous burnouts on a prepped track even when i was trying hard not to/after warming tires (nitto nt05s with lower air). He took my car back a couple more times trying to get the power to hold but to no avail. At this point I am thinking there is just simply something wrong with my particular car or my engine since I am having so much trouble holding power after 5k/6k+

This is around the time that I started seeing Cary's full e85 tunes surface putting crazy numbers down, i reached out to him and asked him if he was able to use his full e85 tune to emphasize low/manageable tq, high hp and hold power to redline, he answered quickly, politely, and knowledgeably and was confident he could solve the goals i have with my car. He had some great reviews populating here on the forums and I actually went ahead and pre-paid for the bootmod3 license and for his custom tune and waited for the weather to turn a bit to actually upload it. Three months later when i messaged him he was ready at the drop of a hat and we scheduled at limitless performance in hempstead for him to create his full custom 93 and e85 dyno tunes for that Saturday. I was at the shop all day (no fault of Cary's) and no matter when we needed him he was responding immediately, creating/adjusting the custom tunes very quickly, and overall a tremendous help. He did his custom 93 tune and WOW. Forget for a second the numbers, the power curve, to me, was absolutely perfect, and the power far exceeded my expectations.

Took it for a drive to burn the last of the 93 gas so that i could do the e85 next, and i was seriously impressed. Not only did the car pull hard, spool fast, and hold the power, the up shifts were incredibly smooth and the power delivery was fantastic. I was beyond happy.

Lastly, his full e85 tune with the aim of holding the power as long as possible and reducing/managing torque.

Bam, stock turbos, stock fueling, stock everything except for downpipes and intakes. 600WHP on what to me is about as perfect of a power curve as i could have ever imagined or asked for. I am beyond thrilled and this car now amazes me again. I was flirting with selling this year, and now I no longer have any plans to. The next morning i took a Sunday morning drive with a FBO shelby gt500... A header, cammed, FBO e85 camaro ss 1le.. and a (intake only) hellcat, and left everyone behind on fair pulls. This car pulls like a train, up shifts are incredibly smooth, and somehow with all of the power gained i don't struggle much more, if at all, for traction. I don't even know how that's possible. Anyway, Cary is the real deal, he is a professional and i could not have been any happier with him, PTF, and Brandon at Limitless who was great with helping Cary get everything set up. I would recommend Cary to anyone, and I would say anyone on the fence about a tune (regardless of 93, or e85-i recommend both) should look no further than Bootmod3 and Cary

Last edited by MEXICO NEW YORK; 03-26-2018 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 13