Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjew04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjew04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Too many posts urging you to consider the M3. (And for good reasons). Let me however play the devils advocate

1. Both cars will be more capable in the handling department than either your tracking skills (which I am not aware of) or the public roads. So the question is : will you be tracking this car? If yes, how often? If not, the car will not be the limiting factor in how crazy you drive it. So the advantage that the M3 has in this department will unfortunately not be realized.

2. You are coming from a Lexus which is very boring and you are craving for a sportier car. Heed of caution here: don't over do it Extreme of any thing can have problems. The m3 is a pretty raw car (opposite of the Lexus). It is loud inside. I would personally find it difficult to be making conversations with people/kids in the back seat while driven this car. Suspension is harsh. Seats are too tight. Traction control is tricky. You may get tired of all this faster than you got tired of the numbness induced by the Lexus. The M550 will still be much sportier than your boring Lexus while not overwhelming /irritating you in the long run.

3. For whatever it is worth, the 550 is a "higher series" as perceived by normal people such as perhaps your clients. They are considered to be "luxury cars" and they indeed are.

4. The 550 being an xdrive may recover better from an emergency situation especially compared to the tail happy m3. I bring this up as you mentioned that you would be transporting your family in it.

5. The 550 will accelerate faster in a straight line in majority of the driving situations. That feeling of pull without worrying about go sideways should be addictive!

6. The 550 looks pretty awesome inside and you can load it with more features.

7. For long distance travel, you will be thankful for having got the 550 especially with the automatic cruise control.

8. The 550 is a V8. It should sound like a V8.

If you still decide to go for the M3, make sure you test drive it for at least an hour or more. My $0.02.
Everything rallybull just said is accurate. I am in a similar situation, I had a 15 F80, that got T boned and is now totaled. I can either replace with a 17 and comp package, or go with a more tech advanced car in the M550. I have been going back and forth for 3 weeks, placed an order for a m550, and still am second guessing. The f80 will get away from you in heart beat, it will also give you and exhilarating driving experience every time you hit start. These are good problems to have.
A pic for good measure, everyone was safe even my passenger
My God, what happened?!? Glad that you were okay!