View Single Post
      09-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #1609
calebcross
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I'm not sure anyone agrees what "rasp" actually is or sounds like. Is it the absence of resonance? Because all I can tell you is that the AA EL mid has slightly less resonance than the AA single mid, but it's really the tone (pitch and timbre) that has changed from the classic S55 to a higher pitched more harmonious sound that recalls a racey, high-revving inline 6...which it is! My friend who is familiar with my setup described the new midpipe as sophisticated sounding and almost Porsche-like.

Valve open idle still sounds rumbly and deep and reminds me of a marine V8 idle.
Traditionally, rasp is a harsh or tinny/metallic sound. The e46 m3 is an example of a really raspy inline 6 engine, and the N55 is an example of a non-raspy inline 6.

The rasp on the S55 isn’t even that bad compared to really raspy engines. It’s the truck-like sound from the unequal downpipes that make it sound so bad. Previous solutions like the single midpipe just make it a lot deeper and remove any rasp that was there as a cover up, but EL exhausts make it sound like a totally different engine. But it can still be raspy/tinny sounding with the wrong EL setup.

Last edited by calebcross; 09-24-2020 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 4