View Single Post
      11-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That is because speed limits are ridiculously low in North America, so it is easy to blame excessive speed. I have just spent 4 weeks driving in Europe on my ED, and the discipline on the road is so much superior than what I see here in North America. The whole traffic system is made so traffic flows.

I would say that the true #1 killer on roads is distractions while driving (cell phone use and texting being the worst).
Driving has a different mentality in Europe. Harder to get a license (you have to do more than fog a mirror), more expensive, and more restrictive when you're a youngster. Generalizing of course, but you get the point. Last time I drove in Europe, I came home and wanted to kill every driver within 15 minutes of leaving EWR.

Problem is, we have a country set up where public transportation can take far less of us where we need to go. And also, if we tried to adopt European standards for licensing, you'd have every special interest group in the country protesting that it was racist / economically discriminatory / etc.
Appreciate 0