View Single Post
      03-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #89
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 SY M3 DCT, 2020 X7

When comparing the M3/M4 to the competition, I think it is important to clarify which cars are competing in the same segment. None of the Porsche alternatives are competing in the same segment as the M3/M4. It is of course fun making comparison with sport cars, but the M3/M4 will never compete on the same level. The extra space and comfort will always be a drag for the M3/M4. Still it's doing quite well.

The M3/M4 is a DD car that can be taken to the track and be driven almost like a sports car. And as a DD you will have the comfort and space like a normal car and still have fun on twisty roads pushing the car more than you would dear in a normal sedan/coupe.

In this category you will find the C63 AMG, RS5 and RC F. At the moment (as far as I'm conserned) it is the C63 that comes closest to the M3/M4. The question is, will the C63 feel as sportive and nimble as the M3/M4? Will you get the same "race car feel" in the C63? Is the rigidity of the chassis on the same level as the Bimmer? I cannot tell since I've never driven neither of them, but the C63 is heavier than the M3/M4. The TTV8 in the Merc is for sure a fantastic engine, but the engine alone does not make it a better car than the comparable BMW.

My take is to listen less to the reviews, but rather test drive the cars before making a decision. For some, even the RS5 will be a more desirable car, because of the AWD, than either the Merc or the BMW. For me, AWD is not even an option, because it just is not as fun to drive as a RWD car. I really hope BMW will never turn all their M-cars into AWD! Having fun in a car is not all about speed.

Then, even if the C63 may be close to the M3/M4 as a drivers car, you have to live with the looks of the car Personally I don't like the looks of the new C-class. It is trying too hard in the front and the back belongs to a S-class. BMW is far ahead in the design department!

In any case, competition is a must to move forward and BMW is not perfect in any sense. I'm therefore happy to see that other car manufacturers are closing the gap!
Appreciate 1