gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
When the E9X came out, I had an E46.

Things I was worried about before I moved to the E9X and what I think today:

Weight will be an issue - turned out to be 300lbs more than my E46M, and had a big impact on track fun.
No chainsaw insane I6 - the S65 is an batshit insane engine, it is the star of the show and only reason I've kept the car.
Steering will be worse because BMW steering is getting worse - yes, steering is worse that the E46, numb and barely a pulse compared to a 911 or the e46. But it is super accurate.
Brakes, no fixed caliper, need another 6K for stoptechs - well, they turned out to be far more capable that I expected, and with pads and fluid, up to track duty with rcomps, but just barely.
Handling will be worse because of the weight - wow, the E9X is a total step function improvement over the E46, not even in the same ballpark. More grip everywhere, and zero understeer. They really improved the camber curve and balance.
Creature comforts, bah I don't need them - turns out the E9X is a great daily driver and the audio system (enhanced) is light years better that the previous model.

So looking to the Next generation, I am worried about

Weight - I simply don't believe that they will take a significant amount of weight out to matter (>150lbs). (I hope I am wrong)

Steering - What is already bad (but best in class) will get way worse with an electric rack, much like what has happened to every other BMW model with an electric rack. (I hope I am wrong, but even Porsche got it wrong on the 991, so I don't have much hope)

I6 Turbo - Lag and not free revving. And please no engine noise synthesized through the audio system. (I really hope I am wrong, the S54 and S65 were such a core element of the M cars....what ever in the new one has big shoes to fill)

But honestly I will buy a 4-door pretty much no matter what, unless the engine is crap. There is nothing else on the market with 4 doors that checks more boxes. Though I do have my eye on a E63 Wagon and a Cayenne GTS, since I don't need my daily to serve track duty any more.
Good points and well thought out post.
Appreciate 0