View Single Post
      06-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #67
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I would just like to precise that adhesive friction is not exclusive to the CCB. My understanding is that every pad has a different proportion of abrasive and adhesive friction. Where more street-able pads have a stronger abrasive bias and more track oriented pads have a greater adhesive bias. That is why track pads need a proper bedding to operate correctly. A thin layer of pad material is necessary on the disc for the adhesive friction to take effect.

Even the stock pads for the irons have some adhesive friction built in. However, since the pads are not intended for track use, when they see sustained high temperatures, they transfer too much material on the rotors smudging them with uneven pad material which results in brake shudder.
Absolutely. Typical brakes for decades function with both adhesive forces (material interactions/interatomic forces) and abrasive friction forces (stress interactions/abrasion). Hence in the end you end up with adhesive wear particles and abrasive wear particles.

Edit: Tribology is a crazy-wild subject, especially when you look at stuff like lubricant separated surfaces (i.e. rod bearings), but I have very limited experience with the subject in the realm of brakes. Perhaps what is predominantly different is: the ratio of adhesion to abrasive wear versus operating load/temperture range? Meaning that at very high brake pad to rotor interface temperatures, perhaps the carbon rotor solution is operating much more in the realm of adhesive forces than the iron setup? Interesting subject...perhaps one to throw on the stack to study.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8

Last edited by CSBM5; 06-15-2015 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 1