09-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #86
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
A couple of questions for you, please...

I am trying to find out if the front F10 M5 steel rotors (400x36) with a 28mm hat can be used with the CCB front calipers without changing the caliper OEM bracket. Front pads then can be M5 steel rotor front pads; the rear pad for steel rotors will depend on that Detail Reference # above.
To my best knowledge and per dealer, the M5 rotors+hats will fit directly. I haven't had the need to test that, so I am going by their word so far.

It will be couple of months before I need to change my wheels for track, at that point I'll try to measure. It maybe difficult to measure because the dust shields curve forward towards the rotors, leaving no room to properly measure such distance, but I'll try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdummy81 View Post
In reading this there are a few points that spring to mind:

I don't believe the pads are of the same construction as the discs and that it is only the discs which are subject to oxidising wear.
Essentially correct, I used the same term to describe the wear, but technically you are right of course.

Quote:
The 50% wear limit is not due to heat sink capacity but for reduced thermal insulation leading to more heat being transferred into the callipers and thus the brake fluid.
Yes that is correct, no other reason otherwise.

Quote:
The temperature indicating paint is showing the temperature at the periphery of the disc, about as far from the heat generation area of the disc and in the area of most cooling air flow. I would expect the braking surface to be subject to a significantly higher temperature.
This is essentially correct as well; however, the 'surface' area is not subject to oxidation (the ceramic coating), hence not critical to measure IMHO. Additionally, all tests show that the thermal conductivity of the inner material to be very high resulting in very rapid heat transfer across the whole inner material area significantly improving thermal equivalency. Consequently, heat measured at the periphery is quite valid in measuring total heat generated.
Appreciate 0