View Single Post
      07-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Thanks guys - great feedback.

Couple of things
First, off I forgot to mention, with Audi, if you get the cool-looking flat bottom steering wheel, You lose the heated steering wheel option! In fact, you have to make sure the car has the "Cold Weather" package that gets you the heated (round) steering wheel and heated rear seats. It is not even listed on the website. So... many of the cars out there won't do it for me, cause dammit,, I live in Chicago and that heated steering wheel is a must for me (serious) - and no, I've been told you can't add it after the fact.

Next, I think the cheapness of the interior focuses mostly on the dash being plastic and the way they organized everything down by the shifter. One fun thing is that their shortcut buttons 1-8 are a single piece of plastic. Press down on #1 (left side) and the right side pops up like a popsicle stick would - yea, you are just supposed to "touch it" but still, cheap! And the toggle switches for the MMI - those are cheap (to me) as well. The digital dash is however sweet.

The car I test drove did not have the B&O stereo - so it sounded terrible from a stereo standpoint. The one I'm 1/2 considering does have this (although it does not have the dynamic steering, something I do find interesting as I loved it in my 550 and X6.)

The last time I considered an Audi was in 2013 and the S6 - the steering did feel over boosted and the car having the DSG was a huge bummer for me. Lots of people had issues with the car "not going" when you needed it to (like when you want to cross the street fast). I'm seriously glad Audi has put the ZF into the RS-5. And.. I thought the steering felt great compared to my M3 - but only in dynamic mode! In regular comrfort it was terrible.

And yes, at $95K, the pricing is out of line (both cars I'm considering have the carbon front brakes - which I have not heard bad things about, but at $5K for that and an engine cover, that's just crazy). One dealer is more reasonably asking $77K but another is at $87K. I'm not doing that and I'm still not sure I want to lose my manual trans in my DD.

Lots to think about. I suspect I'm half happy that the car closest to me is priced out of line.
Appreciate 0