Thread: MW F80 M3
View Single Post
      02-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #7
Rusty_Schackleford
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1985 Yugo

Got the RKP GTS lip installed! Picked one up through iND and as usual it took longer to open/unpack than install . Just kidding, I'm glad iND takes pride in their packaging.

I've never installed a chassis mounted lip before so the whole process took around four and a half hours.

First step - put the car up on the Quickjack and pull bumper (as my E92 looks on in disgust at the noises this car makes). I pulled the wheels off just to get easier access to the fender liners.

Second step place the brackets onto the car, use a rivet gun to install them, and re-use the OE bolt.

Once the brackets were on I put the upper carbon lip portion on. I probably should have positioned the lip on the brackets before the rivets, but luckily they lined up perfectly despite my lack of thinking the process through. If the rivets weren't aligned properly I would have had to pull them out and re-position them, which would have been difficult.

Notch crash bar foam liner to accommodate the front vertical strut bar that comes with the lip assembly

Notch these upper/lower parts for clearance (I used a dremel)

Mock-up the vertical strut (I marked the center point with a sharpie)

Once that was done, drill out the front crash bar for the diameter of the press-in nut, and hammer it in place. Then install the large bolt and secure the strut.

Notch and re-install this felt piece.

Once all the trimming/fitting was done I removed the lower lip and re-installed the bumper

After that I re-installed the upper carbon lip and then the lower lip portion (I went with the Fall-Line Motorsports raw black lower half)

I left a few details out but most people aren't looking at this thread to read a diy. The oil cooler protector also needs to be notched.

Pretty happy with the overall look, will report back later with more pics.

Special thanks to MRF Engineering and ebisu8_m when I was doubting drilling into the front 😂

Last edited by Rusty_Schackleford; 02-06-2021 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 3