04-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #57
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Just like the E9X, a 6 speed manual is going to be a serious crippling of the performance of the car. BMW's DCT transmissions are just sooooo good. I rank them second only to Porsche PDK, you simply can't pass it up on your options tick-box.

The combination of nice torquey power and DCT is an intoxicating experience. Effortless zipping around slow traffic on highways in my GT-R is one of my favorite memories of that car and that never would have been possible with a clutch/stick.
And the life-affirming sound that the S65 makes when you blip for a downshift is made that much sweeter by the fact that you got to do it with your own foot -- not to mention the thrill of always chasing that perfectly smooth upshift or heel-toe blip downshift and feeling like an absolute hero when you nail it just perfectly, and the innate joy and sense of accomplishment that comes from getting more out of something as a resulting of investing more effort into mastering it rather than letting something else do it perfectly for you all the time. "Effortless zipping" just isn't what's fun for me.

Don't get me wrong, I drove a DCT M3 on twisty back roads, and the immediacy of the brake/downshift/turn-in trifecta compared to 6MT was definitely exhilarating. So was the straight-line acceleration with absolutely no letup. Even the consistent smoothness was nice during regular commuting. But having driven 6MT for a while now, I can't drive an auto or DCT that has paddles without actually using them because otherwise I'm bored out of my mind, and even the paddles aren't a complete substitute for driving MT. I found that for me, DCT might make intense driving slightly more fun than 6MT, but 6MT makes regular driving a LOT more fun than DCT, and since I do a fair amount of typical driving, 6MT comes out ahead overall. Then again, I'm fortunate to have a commute that doesn't involve traffic.

And with that, I think we've just said everything that needs to be said about 6MT vs DCT on the F8x forums. So this means we won't need to see any new threads on the matter, right people?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-22-2014 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
ddk632585.00