View Single Post
      11-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #84
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Kenny - you used the phrase "reported to be" twice above. Are we fighting paper tigers here? BMW apparently cut their vehicles weight by more than 5-7% vs. the previous generation while simultaneously significantly increasing vehicle size.

Do we know if Audi and Merc did the same? I'm genuinely asking - I don't follow the early info on those models closely like I do on the m3.

My first statement about the entire car being made of carbon fiber was an alliterative statement to point out the folly in your hypothetical. BMW DID increase power while decreasing weight, but you are saying that it should have been MORE than they did.

I get that. But you need to also understand that BMW accomplished what they did on a budget target. The reporting on the m3 indicated they ran out of money for things like standard LED headlights (to reduce weight) and other bits that would further lighten on the standard vehicle.

This indicates that yes, BMW could've done more but in some areas at least they were budget constrained.

Most likely they decided early on to go back to a turbo inline six in the m3 to increase efficiency, decrease production cost, etc.

A 3.0 liter inline six is also an excellent platform for high-RPM operation in a street car with longevity concerns.
Appreciate 0