11-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #87
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I get all that, and honestly im happy with the power even in my lowly e92, though I look forward to the f80 m3.

I am just tired of the excuses for bmw and people getting bashed for wishing the car had more power like its competitors do

and yes, audi and merc have both claimed reductions of at least 200lbs on the next gen c63 and rs5. audi claims more than 200lbs, IIRC merc claims 200. I said reported to be because nothing is set in stone until the car is actually released.

I am very pleased that all of these manufacturers are dropping weight. I track my m3 and am well aware of the benefits of lower weight for both quicker lap times and much less wear and tear on tires and brakes $$$$$$

As far as sticking to a budget and the price point......I am very nervous to see what the price point of the new m3 is. I hope they kept the price increase under control.
Less is more and more is better, with regards to weight and power respectively It's only human to want more and better things. That is progress

But, with a reported loss of around 200lbs the Merc will still weigh 1640kg, and let's say that the Audi looses a bit more than 200lbs so that also ends up at 1640kg.

That is approximately 140kg more than the F8x, or to put it another way; MB and Audi are coming down to E9x weights. BMW still leads the way (if your reports of 200lbs weight loss is correct).

With a 1640kg weight loss the Audi and Merc will need 475hp to match the F8x's power to weight ratio. But they will still be heavy under cornering and braking. HP can't overcome those deficiencies.

I'd rather have a 430hp, 1500kg M3 than a 475hp RS5/C63 with 1640kg to pull around every corner

If the above weights are true for the competition, I suspect we will see M3/M4 do significantly better lap times around a track. But it might be close on a drag strip, or the competition might even beat it in a straight line if they up the power above 475hp. Thankfully, the M3 has never been a drag racing car, nor has BMW intended it to be either.

Sure, more power is nice and I suspect we will see that in future versions as well. BMW has left some reserve for developments and upgrades. just like any manufacturer does. Just look at Apple and their iPhones...
Appreciate 0