View Single Post
      06-23-2016, 03:37 AM   #47
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
Interesting views as always Guy, thanks for taking the time to do this as I've always been keen to hear opinions of the CP vs a newer gen non CP car.

I think that dare I say it here that both parties are make valid points in the "comfort" debate.......

Comfort is indeed a personal opinion however defining what constitutes a comfortable ride is much less so.

For example if you asked 100 people to say which mattress was more comfortable to them of a hard vs medium vs soft you'd get a wide variation in response because some prefer softer or firmer etc

However if you put 100 people into different cars eg a focus, mid sized Jaguar (not up on my models there ) or an Atom, and asked which has the most comfortable ride I suspect the majority would be pointing at the Jag.....
People expect certain things if you tell them a car has a comfortable ride, therefore it is a more defined thing and much less subjective IMHO.

So peace keeping moment over with lets move on and look forward to some more comparisons
To be honest Ade I've given up and gone back to burying my head in work. At some point I'll get the video done but I have had my fill of it for this week.

I think you are right - everyone's perception of what constitutes comfort is a personal thing.

But back in my car today after the whole debate last night (not just on here), there's no question it's firmer than the yellow car I drove yesterday and it is less forgiving. That suits me fine, as I still believe in isolation it's still more than acceptable and no-one who has ordered a CP and not driven one should be concerned. In fact I think our Mini Cooper SD in the office (which I've just driven up to shops to get some milk!) has a much worse ride and let's not get started on older BMW's with runflats.

So everything IS relative and what I did was compare my car relative to another that I drove. Just a bit fed up with people telling me things based on different cars and not the two that I drove. I have no issue with someone going in both the same cars and disagreeing with me. As it was, I drove around yesterday with two film guys in the back and they both agreed that mine felt firmer and more tied down. So it wasn't just me.

I can't really comment on the findings in the States except to say that Nick's car hasn't had any firmware updates that he has reported and we know that BMW have made some improvements to damping control. Guys over on Cutters have noticed several improvements (this being one but also better gearbox changes, better MPG, better TC).

It's all a bit academic for me as I change to coilovers on Monday anyway but I'm damned if I am going to bother trying to explain that one in detail.

Right, back to work and then FOS tomorrow
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2