Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
That's not what you said ol' sport. Here's what you said:
Quote:
...no legit track test has liked the throttle response.
Yup, and the vast majority of reviewers (I read all 32 from the front of this forum) who mention the S65 note the same things:

1. It has better response and immediacy than the new turbo engine
2. It sounds special/racy/fantastic vs. fairly universally dull.

I say any degradation of something "positive" in the prior version (sound, special character, responsiveness ...), and is less so in the new version, is a negative. Not saying there's nothing positive on the other side of the ledger (more torque really being the only one that matters to me), but this is not a wholly superior, or even IMHO net superior engine.

Must be why six of the 32 reviews stated they missed the S65 and lamented it's passing.

Quote:
Your ignorance is showing. And the underlined part is factually untrue.
Quote:
sounds muted and suffers from significant lag
11 of 32 reviews stated the sound of the F80 was boring, muffled or in some other way mediocre. Six commented specifically on the undesirable fake sounds and five said it sounded like a diesel. 12 said they liked the sound and three commented on it being loud.

Quote:
Actually, most of that entire statement is just totally wrong. Multiple people have done the math and shown the optimum shift point is 7300 RPMs. Why? Because it's still making max power and an upshift and keeps you perfectly in the max power band.
Multiple reviewers mentioned that running the engine above 5500rpm wasn't beneficial to either performance or enjoyment.

Quote:
You act like BMW (and the S65 specifically) was the only V8 engine ever put into a car.
The S65 isn't just "a V8 engine put into a car". It's a fairly special engine.

Quote:
It's a special engine,
Agreed. See above.

Quote:
no doubt but it's not the epitome of the M3 line.
It's right behind the S54 from the CSL.

Quote:
If it was the end all be all, why did a V8 only find it's way into an M3 once?
They developed it and immediately put it in the M3 (did they use it in the Z8 also?). It is a fuel-swilling pig, no doubt about it. I guess that's why? Can't say for sure - they didn't consult me, or I'd have said to keep it, or replace it with something even more fabulous, like a destroked, 4L V10 running to 9k rpm ...
Appreciate 0