View Single Post
      02-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Of course the M buttons will be programmable.
Right, that's the entire point of the buttons. Although, they will come from the factory programmed with two different configurations: button 1 is set up for comfort while button 2 is a more aggressive. I don't know what the individual settings will be for them, however. These configurations will also be the button defaults that get set if you select the "Reset" feature in iDrive for either button. Perhaps I should add this info to the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Mkoesel
Did I read that right? Defaults can not be changed!!
That's taking a step backward from the current E9x M3.
I have 70K miles on my E92 and only 300-500 miles of that were on comfort.
From all of my research on the F1x M cars, that will almost surely be the case for the F8x too, yes. For whatever reason, BMW does not seem to want to allow you to have their cars start up the way you want. This goes not just for M vehicles but all BMW's with DDC (Driving Dynamics Control), which is most of them these days. It's probably due to a combination of practicality, liability, and marketing. I'm not sure if other luxury car manufacturers follow this same philosophy or not - it may just be an industry trend.

Plus, for the E9x M3, the only ones you could really set at startup were the EDC and "Power" (throttle), and the latter would not allow you to set Sport Plus. So it was always a half-baked solution anyway.

Remember, you've got two M buttons now, so you can set one to your preferred daily settings and use the other for a more aggressive "hoonage mode" (for example, DSC OFF, Sport Plus dampening, etc.). And, these will be stored per key so your wife can have her own preferences (if you let her drive it ).

The other nice thing, for people who like to change the settings often, is that everything has a button on the console now. Recall that for the E9x, there is no console button to change the Servotronic to Sport, and the Power Button would not allow you to set Sport Plus, while the DSC Button would not allow you to set MDM. For the new car, every setting will be available from the buttons. And like I said, you can even hold down an M Button to program the currently selected settings to that button. It all sounds very sorted to me. If you remember the conversations back in the day, it's almost like they listen to our feedback, eh?
Appreciate 0