Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
You got at least one key thing wrong

F10 m5 not shifting at redline?

You dont shift at peak tq you shift at the point where tq effective (counting final drive and gear ratio) is higher in higher gear

M5 you ALWAYS shift at redline
According to my work on the subject (I can post the force in gear vs. speed graphs if you like) the new F10 M5 should not be shifted at redline in all gears to obtain maximum acceleration. It is quite a fine line but IIRC in the M5 shifts into 5th through 7th should be at a bit before redline. As is the case with this simulation for the M4, the differences between shifting or not at redline in the M5 would be quite subtle, with only a very small bit to gain by shifting lower. I've seen the reports on m5board.com claiming that shifts are always at redline but I'm quite sure they are incorrect.

When to shift is quite simple, it is not about average power nor about torque, torque is irrelevant. One shifts where the accelerative force is higher in the next gear than if the shift was not made. In other words if lines on the force vs. speed in each gear cross that shift should be made at the vehicle speed (can back calculate rpm) where they cross. Simple.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0