View Single Post
      12-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #75
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

So I figured since I started this thread way back when, may as well provide an update.

Sold my M3 back in June, was a good time to let it go for personal reasons unique to my lifestyle and situation. When the time was right, I decided what the heck, let's give the STI another whirl. And I ended up buying one!

It's a 2020 base model with alcantara Recaros and that's pretty much it. I've only had it for a week, but here are my impressions so far.

- I really miss having this much grip, it's great to stomp on it everywhere and never have TC intervene. Sure, it's way down on power compared to the M3, but the amount of tangibly accessible power is fun in its own right. Even on RE-71Rs, my M3's grip was just never where I wanted it to be when compared to other RWD sports cars I've driven. So this is a big win for me.

- The car could use about another 60 HP. However, the close gearing combined with the power delivery have made this the most N/A feeling turbocharged experience I've ever had. Subaru really refined and tuned it about as good as it can get. The car never feels super quick, but it never feels like you're waiting for power either, unlike my 09 WRX which I was waiting on boost for seconds depending on the RPM. However, this refinement is only in Intelligent mode, which is the least aggressive throttle setting. As far as I'm concerned, Sport and Sport# are undriveable. The tip in is way too aggressive and makes takeoffs and shifts annoying.

- Other misc. things: I don't like the stock wheels, both the design and 19 inch size, but I also don't want to buy 2 sets of 18s, so I'm putting snow tires on these and will find a summer set for the stock tires in a few months. Power will be addressed very soon, so I'm not as worried about that. About the only thing I think I miss from the M3 is the clutch feedback. The Subaru has almost none, and it makes takeoffs a little inconsistent. But I haven't stalled yet, and I'm assuming I will just get accustomed to it with time.

Oh, and the wing. Idk, something about it looks off to me. I don't think it works on this generation with the pointier nose from side view unless lowered. In person, it makes the car look really big to me. Will most likely remove and put on a lip spoiler when the time is right.

But at the end of the day, I think this was a good purchase for me, and I'm pretty darn happy so far. I don't miss my M3, which is the most important thing. I know this is not a popular move for anyone really, but it was the right move for me at this time, and I'm excited for what's to come with this car.

Anyways, here are some photos
Attached Images

Last edited by ntg44; 12-22-2020 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 3
9M711235.00
CT_M31478.00
minn1914061.50