11-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
MilM4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SSII BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
I have a decision for military/diplomat sales in the UK. I can opt to have European mapping pre-installed, and convert to US when I move back to the States, but will have to pay out of pocket. Or, I can have US mapping installed from the get go.

Question is, has anyone done the conversion and, if so, how much does it cost to convert from Europe to US? If it's not an exorbitant amount, I might as well go for the European map and get full use of the navigation while I'm in the UK.

I'll own the car in the longer in the US than the UK.

I guess the other question is, is there an alternate way to do the conversion vs. a dealer? i.e. is this simply a coding issue? No clue how the maps work...
Stooker, my answer to your question is way late as I'm sure you've already made your decision, but I figured I would chime in anyway.

I was stationed at Mildenhall from Feb 13 - Aug 16. I ordered my '16-M4 through Military Sales which is now the Mildenhall VPC. I was faced with the same dilemma, but decided to go with the European maps because lets face it, getting around England without navigation is a nightmare! I ended up going to Korea next, but did not get the Korean maps loaded. I used the 'Waze' app to get around (for some strange reason Google Maps would not work over there). I just recently arrived back in the U.S. at the end of Sep and just picked up my car from the Dallas VPC two weeks ago. I haven't taken her in to get the U.S. maps loaded yet, but I'm planning to do it next week. I'll let you know how much it cost me. I did a little online research and found BMW nav updates cost around $140. However, I'm not sure if that price won't bump up a little higher if the dealer has to load the software from scratch. In any case I'll let you know.

Enjoy England while you're there. I would trade with you in a heartbeat to get stationed there again. I loved every minute of living there! I'm considering permanently moving there once I retire from the military. As you've already figured out there are a lot of beautiful rural roads to go cruising around on.

Enjoy the M3! I love my M4; it's by far the best car I've ever owned! My next car would have to be a Porsche or something to top her.