View Single Post
      03-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #93
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Does the steering feel overly light compared to the F80? I love the steering feel in the F80. Our X3 M40i feels overly light. Which size wheels did you get and is the ride sufficiently cushy, for example, a sleeping baby?
This is always hard for me to answer as it is subjective. There really is no road feel in the steering, but I wouldn't call it overly light. It doesn't stiffen up as tight as Sport Plus in the F8X, but I think it is fine.

We have the most non sporty version of the M550. No DHP and a square setup of 245/40/19 A/S run flat Continentals. It rides very nicely and it is definitely cush enough for a sleeping baby. You get a little bit of the RFT harshness here and there, but it really does ride great. I can't remember if the sunshades (manual side windows/power rear) were an option or not. But, I wish we had them when our daughter was a baby as they would've been awesome. Along with the soft close doors. I think it is all part of the executive package.

But, in reference to this thread, M550 vs M3 it rides way too nice without DHP as the suspension doesn't stiffen up that much even in Sport Plus. After driving it back to back with my M3 now for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't call this car very sporty at all. Again it is very subjective, but that is my opinion. It is just too big and heavy for that role. It is however an awesomely powerful luxury car that is extremely comfortable and a nice size for 4 adults and a kiddo (or some other combo like that of course). We took our in-laws out for a quick shopping trip and they raved about the comfort, look and tech. Even the two adults in back with our 8 year old. Although we cheated a bit and we let her sit in the middle without a booster seat.

So for me it is nowhere near an M3 replacement if you want a sporty sedan. Maybe with DHP and a square summer setup it is considerably better, but I doubt it. I haven't driven one equipped like that, but I've talked to people that have says it controls body roll much better, but still isn't great in the twistys by any means. If you want it to even approach M3 like driving fun, I think one would need to step up to the full M5 or a competitor.

My wife and I went into this looking for a full size car that we both could enjoy knowing it wasn't going to be nearly as fun or capable as my M3 in that way. With those expectations in mind, I am completely happy with it and it is a nice change from the always on feel of the M3.

Last edited by minn19; 03-24-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00