View Single Post
      10-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #20
PaddyPI
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2006 BMW 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMFT View Post
Unrelated to the maps question, but related to moving from EU to TX specifically, so sorry for the thread creep.

When you brought your car back to TX how were the taxes handled? Im currently stationed in the Middle East, and am looking to purchase an F83 via one of BMW's military programs. I would like to avoid the sales tax hit if at all possible. Basically, I'll be purchasing a (US spec)demo model from a European dealer, where I will have registered the car in Germany in my name before shipping back stateside.
I just moved from EUCOM to Texas about 4 week ago. Just got my X5 here today.

I went down to the DMV here and questioned about this. Because I'm a Texas resident, I have to pay taxes on the vehicle, basically whatever the purchase price was x 6.25%. I'm not in the service btw, I'm retired and now a defense contractor. So yeah, I had to pay the tax on it. Sucks big time.

If you are military, you are exempt from the tax requirement. If you are a resident of another state, I believe you are exempt as well, but there has to be some document (what they told me) showing that you paid taxes on it somewhere (which didn't make sense to me, but oh well).
Appreciate 0